The San Jacinto Monument was built in the 1930s to commemorate the victory of the Texas army over the Mexican forces in an 18 minute battle in April, 1836. This victory ensured the continued independence of the fledgling nation, the Republic of Texas. Speculators, the Allen Bros., would start a city some twenty miles away named for the hero of the Texians, General Sam Houston.
The monument is constructed of the distinctive Cordova Creme stone, quarried near Cedar Park, Texas. It is 570 feet 4 inches high, making it the world's tallest columnar monument. Located in San Jacinto Battleground State Park, at the end of State Park Road 1836, near the banks of the Houston Ship Channel, the monument overlooks the Battleship Texas, moored nearby. It is administered by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
The San Jacinto Monument is well-lit at night, making its sight equally impressive throughout the entire day. In 1986, at the San Jacinto Day celebrations for the Texas Sesquicentennial, celebrating 150 years of Texas independence from Mexico, fireworks lit the sky around the monument, and famous Texans such as Barbara Jordan and George H. Bush gave thought provoking speeches.
The San Jacinto cards are linen cards
from "C.T. ART-COLORTONE," originally distributed by Morse
This HTML page is copyright ©1998-2001 Leslie Carl Seiler. All rights reserved. Minor updates 27 July 2001.